- European roulette has a single green 0 pocket, while American roulette has two green pockets, 0 and 00. This means that the house edge in European roulette is 2.70%, while the house edge in American roulette is 5.26%.
- French roulette is a variant of European roulette that uses a special rule called “en prison”. This rule applies when a player bets on a number that comes up on the green 0 pocket. In this case, the player’s bet is returned to them, but it is placed in “prison” for the next spin. If the player’s number comes up on the next spin, they win their original bet plus their winnings from the previous spin. If the player’s number does not come up on the next spin, they lose their bet.
The table below summarizes the key differences between European, American, and French roulette:
|Roulette variant||Number of green pockets||House edge|
|French roulette||1 (with en prison rule)||1.35%|
drive_spreadsheetExport to Sheets
As you can see, French roulette has the lowest house edge of all three variants. This is because the en prison rule gives players a second chance to win their bet if their number comes up on the green 0 pocket.
If you are looking for the best possible odds of winning, then French roulette is the best option. However, if you are not familiar with the en prison rule, then you may want to consider playing European roulette instead.
Here are some additional tips for playing roulette:
- Never bet on the green pockets. The green pockets have the highest house edge, so you are more likely to lose your money if you bet on them.
- Avoid the “inside” bets. The inside bets are the bets that are placed on individual numbers or small groups of numbers. These bets have a higher house edge than the “outside” bets.
- Focus on the “outside” bets. The outside bets are the bets that are placed on larger groups of numbers, such as red/black, odd/even, or 1-18/19-36. These bets have a lower house edge than the inside bets.
- Set a budget and stick to it. It is important to set a budget before you start playing roulette. This will help you to avoid losing more money than you can afford.
- Have fun! Roulette is a fun and exciting game. Don’t take it too seriously and just enjoy the experience.